An initial consultation is not just for the surgeon to assess your case; it is for you too. This no-obligation visit allows you to evaluate the clinic, surgeons, technology and see if you are a suitable candidate.
Most laser eye surgery centres offer free consultations and complimentary assessments to patients thinking about laser eye surgery. If you think this is an unnecessary step, it is best to familiarise yourself with how these appointments work, so you can see why this visit is critical for the success of your procedure.
What Happens at a Free Consultation for Your Laser Eye Surgery?
A free consultation takes anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours in total. During this consultation, you will receive a free laser eye surgery assessment. This assessment includes:
- In-depth patient history to discuss any underlying health conditions that may disqualify you from surgery.
- Visual Acuity Test – Assesses how your eyes focus on objects at different distances. This can include reading letters or identifying images and objects.
- Refraction Test – Measures the current eyeglass or contact prescription to see if your prescription has changed.
- Slit Lamp – A powerful microscope that uses a beam of light to focus in on the eye and examine the components.
- Retinal Exam – Focuses on the retina and internal areas of the eye.
- Topographical Examinations – Maps the cornea, anterior chamber and crystalline lens.
At the end of the consultation, your laser eye surgeon will recommend which types of laser eye surgeries are right for you. They will discuss the procedure, recovery and any possible risks, so that you are fully informed when you make your decision. Even if you are not a candidate for Treatment, your surgeon can recommend other options to help improve your vision.
If you choose to go ahead with the laser eye surgery, you can schedule your appointment and even discuss financing. There is no pressure to schedule right away – in fact, many patients like to go home and think over their options before making a decision.
If you are thinking about laser eye surgery in Belfast, take advantage of a free consultation with the surgeons and staff at Optilase. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule your consultation with us.