5 Ways You Can Protect Your Eyes This Summer
Summer means more time outdoors enjoying the fresh air, sunlight and the holidays. While you have plenty of sunscreen for your face and a hat for your head, what are you doing to protect your vision during the summer? Eyes are just as susceptible to damage in the summer as your skin, if not more at risk. By taking the time to protect your eyes, you could preserve your vision.
What Can I Do?
Whether you have perfect vision or you wear corrective lenses, taking care of your eyes should always be your top priority. Some ways you can protect your vision and eyes this summer include:
1. Wear Sunglasses with UV Protection – Cheap sunglasses are often cheap for a reason: they lack adequate UV protection. UV rays are just as damaging to your eyes as they are to your skin, and your eyes can become sunburned. Protect your eyes from UVR exposure by purchasing sunglasses with 100 percent protection against UVA and UVB rays.
2. Wash Your Hands Before Touching Your Eyes – While you are out and about, avoid rubbing or touching your eyes without washing your hands. If you wear contact lenses, this is especially important. Unsanitary hands could lead to eye infections, including conjunctivitis.
3. Wear a Hat – Even if you have sunglasses on, you need to protect your eyelids and eyes with a hat. Sunglasses have gaps along the sides and top – where the rays can still reach your eyes. Wearing a hat will help reduce the number of rays exposed to your eyes and protect your scalp at the same time.
4. Wear Goggles While Swimming – You may be tempted to dive into a pool and escape the heat of summer. But before you do, do not forget to put on your swimming goggles. You can good quality ones that are affordable and will last. Save your eyes from the harshness of chlorine and other chemicals present in the pool water.
5. Wear Protection – If you are engaging in activities outdoors, such as playing a game of football, do not forget to protect your eyes. Corneal injuries can cause permanent damage, and that damage may not reversible even with the best technology. Protect your eyes from sand, debris and other foreign objects while playing outdoors.
Ditch the Eyeglasses – Correct Your Eyes for Summer and the Rest of Your Life!
If you want to skip the hassles of contact lenses or the pain of eyeglasses this summer, have your vision corrected with laser eye surgery. Laser corrective procedures can improve your vision dramatically and reduce or eliminate the need for corrective lenses altogether. Imagine seeing the crystal clear water from afar without lenses or even getting out for a game of golf without worrying about the dry eyes that contact lenses cause.
You can explore your options for laser corrective surgery by scheduling a consultation with a surgeon from Optilase today. We have a variety of laser eye surgical procedures, so let us help you find the right one for your perfect vision.
Contact Optilase vision experts today by filling out an online enquiry form or schedule a consultation by calling us on 0489 043 8397 in Northern Ireland and 0800 511 8005 in the UK.